CloudNative was started as a result of Answers for AWS. Peter Sankauskas found through consulting for multiple clients, that while each of them were building something quite different, there were many repeated patterns.
CloudNative takes those patterns, makes them a little more generic, and translates them into code.
To codify the best practices for running a service in the cloud, and make the native way, the default way.
- Build native to the destination (no abstractions)
- Build directly against AWS's APIs. Ditto for GCE.
- Take advantage of advanced features.
- Never be a lowest common denominator.
- Stay current
- Best practices change - reevaluate regularly.
- Balance being opinionated vs flexible
- Keep it simple, yet useful.